You are here
Home > The Royal Family > Prince Philip > Heartbreaking scenes from Queen Elizabeth’s appearance at Parliament opening following Philip’s death

Heartbreaking scenes from Queen Elizabeth’s appearance at Parliament opening following Philip’s death

Queen

Queen Elizabeth has stepped out for her first in-person engagement since the death of her husband Prince Philip.


Queen Elizabeth’s beloved husband passed away on 9 April.



The Queen of England, Elizabeth, returned to London from Windsor to attend the State Opening of Parliament at the Palace of Westminster on Tuesday – and there was one heartbreaking detail that many of you might have missed.

For the very first time, the Consort’s throne had been excluded from the House of Lords. Queen Elizabeth instead sat alone on the Sovereign’s Throne while her son, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall, who accompanied her, were given Chairs of State.

Also read: Queen Elizabeth: Prince Philip compromised his health to keep the promise he made to Harry.



It is the fourth time that Prince Charles has been at his mother’s side for the state opening. Prince Charles also attended in December 2019, October 2019 and June 2017. The heir-to-the-throne first stepped in for his father Philip in 2017 after the Duke of Edinburgh fell ill with an infection, two months before he retired from public duties. It should be noted that there was no State Opening in 2020.

For more royal family updates: follow The Royal UK on Telegram

Prince Philip was 99 years old when he passed away peacefully at Windsor Castle on the morning of 9 April. He was just two months away from his 100th birthday. The adorable royal couple had an incredible marriage that spanned 73 years. On the occasion of the golden wedding anniversary in November 1997, the monarch famously said of her husband: “He has, quite simply, been my strength and stay all these years.”

Just 12 days after Prince Philip’s death, Queen Elizabeth marked her 95th birthday, and while she spent the day privately at Windsor Castle, she did release a statement thanking the public for all the well wishes.

Also read: A rare look at Meghan’s close bond with Prince Philip.



“I have, on the occasion of my 95th birthday today, received many messages of good wishes, which I very much appreciate,” she said.“While as a family we are in a period of great sadness, it has been a comfort to us all to see and to hear the tributes paid to my husband, from those within the United Kingdom, the Commonwealth and around the world.

“My family and I would like to thank you all for the support and kindness shown to us in recent days. We have been deeply touched, and continue to be reminded that Philip had such an extraordinary impact on countless people throughout his life.” She signed it ‘Elizabeth R’.

If you liked the article, kindly share it with your friends, groups and family members. 🙂

Comments

comments

Top