Though Trump’s meeting is over, there have been some speculations still going on. One of them was about Queen Elizabeth meet the president all by herself.
And now, it has been revealed that the British royal family wasn’t interested in meeting Trump.
Prince Charles and his son, William refused to meet Donald Trump during his four-day UK trip. Their decision left Her Majesty to meet the US president in Windsor Castle alone on Friday.
Charles and William made it clear that they did not wish to be present at the meeting.
A source told The Royal UK: “This business of the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge not being there for the Trump visit was a snub. They simply refused to attend”.
It is a very, very unusual thing for Queen Elizabeth to be there on her own. It has never happened before”.
The Buckingham Palace refuted claims that Trump had insulted the Queen.
The Palace gave a statement saying: “It is an entirely personal choice whether you bow in front of Her Majesty. There was a slight confusion about which sides both were meant to be on when they inspected the guard but it was resolved quickly”.
A Palace spokesperson said: “In line with standard practice for the guest of government visits, the President and First Lady were received by Queen Elizabeth as Head of State”.
“The arrangements were mutually agreed between the Palace, UK and US governments. There was never such suggestion about the other members of the royal family taking part”.
Charles and Trump hold divergent views on climate change.
The US President have declared global warming as a hoax and withdrawn from the Paris climate change agreement. While Prince Charles campaigns on the risks of climate change and has co-authored a book on the topic.
The Prince of Wales has stepped in for Prince Philip lately, who is 97 and recently had a hip replacement and retired from all his royal duties last year.